Saturday, March 5, 2011

CSA week 12 wrap-up, week 13 start-up

No surprises in the wrap up this week. I had the arugula with pasta like I said I would and pickled the green beans as per plan too. I did throw some of the cherry tomatoes into the pickle jar so that's something.

This week should be less predictable simply because I have no idea what to do with this stuff.


One turnip, one beet, one pepper. Not enough of anything to base a dish on and they don't really add up to anything. A gratin, maybe. Wrong sort of potatoes for a gratin though and it seems odd to go out and buy more when I've got this pile plus leftovers from Thursday's yukina soup.

I do have a perverse impulse to add the beet to an espresso/cinammon/chipotle chili I'm making. Probably best if I resist that urge as the recipe is odd enough as is.

I don't really know what to do with the head of lettuce either other than, I suppose, just eat it. You can probably sense my lack of enthusiasm from how I nearly cropped it out of the picture. The beet and turnip tops might work in a salad. I usually prefer to cook them a little, though.

This week's strawberries have less flavor than last weeks, so I think I'll have to cook with them instead of eating them out of hand. Maybe I can use the beet here instead.

I took a spare canistel from the extras bin and when they ripen, I should have enough pulp accumulated to work with. That won't be for a week or two, so I'm not going to commit to anything yet, but if I'm going sweet with the beet, I'll want to do something savory with the canistel.

That leaves the potatoes. Good size for chowder or roasting. Or juggling. If I decide on juggling, I'll let you know.

No comments: