Saturday, March 1, 2008

CSA farm subscription - week fourteen

A bit of a change of pace this week with no lettuce and no greens (cabbage isn't quite the same thing).

First up are the potatoes. These red potatoes are best for roasting and boiling and I think I've got enough to both accompany a roast chicken and be part of a stew. I don't have enough collards left to do a caldo verde. I'm thinking I might try a conch chowder; I've never worked with conch before.

As for the tomatoes, I've fallen a bit behind as I've just started using last week's grape tomatoes today. Luckily they do store fairly well.

The green pepper would be nice roasted with the chicken and potatoes I think.

A half pound of green beans isn't really enough to be a main ingredient in a main dish so they'll be part of a side dish. Last time I mentioned Cajun-style which fries them up in a roux. I figure if I do that and use appropriate spices with the roast chicken then a leftovers casserole will fall together easily.

The obvious choice other with the mei quing choy and shiitakes is a stir fry, but they also make up the main components of hot and sour soup. I'll have to check to see if I still have cloud ears and lilly buds. If I do, I think that's the way to go.

That leaves the mizuna and the cilantro. I have to admit that the last batches of both of these started to go bad before I got around to using them and I have no great inspiration to use them this time around either. I'd like to hear what you guys have been doing with these two while they've been rotting in my refrigerator. In fact, since the other CSA member blogs have posted anything about what they've been cooking for quite some time, I'd be interested in hearing about anything interesting you guys have made.

No comments: