Saturday, April 10, 2010

CSA week 18 wrap-up, week 19 start-up

I don't feel like I cooked as much as I wanted to this week, but looking back at last week's start-up post, beyond a few scraps, all that's left is a fair bit of zucchini and I'll be using most of that in tonight's dinner.

I guess the only thing I cooked that I didn't post about was a stir fry with the bag of Asian greens. I didn't read the label and didn't realize it was a braising blend so it didn't turn out so hot. Let's just move on to this week.



I'm thinking I'd like to try making a beet and goat cheese gratin. I did a quick search and found that there are few recipes for such a thing out there so it's not a completely wacky notion. I don't think I'm going to get out to a farmer's market to pick up any local goat cheese for a couple weeks, though, so I'm just going to tuck the beets into the back of the refrigerator for now.

There aren't enough green beans here to make a full dish. I'll just probably steam them up as a side dish with a chunk of meat.

If I didn't have a blog to write, I'd go the same route with the mushrooms. As it is, I'll have to go out and buy some more mushrooms so I'll have enough to work with. No idea just what I'll be making yet, though.

I already used most of the sprouts, along with some more of the zucchini, on a pizza for lunch. It's a pretty presentation and a pretty good flavor combination along with Spanish chorizo. As you probably guessed from the nicely squared off corners, that is a doctored up frozen pizza. They were half price.

The onions I suspect will end up with the mushrooms. If not, they'll make a pretty good fritatta I'd think.

The lettuce I took only because of the grape tomatoes. That's the start of a decent salad. I don't know if I'll actually do it, but at least I've got a plan.

Finally, I picked pack of hoja santa out of the extras bin since I missed it when I was out of town a couple weeks back. Nobody reported on their blogs about successfully using it so I'm a bit trepidatious. I did some looking around and the recipe that caught my eye was a pozole verde. Unfortunately, I found it only after I started soaking my hominy for the zucchini soup I'm making tonight so that's out. I'll probably just try it with fish in the traditional manner. Best to stick with tradition for the first time, I figure.

No comments: