Friday, August 29, 2008

The Omnivore's Hundred - part three

Continuing on from Part 2.

Here's how it works.
"list a hundred interesting foods and:
1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.
4) Optional extra: Post a comment at www.verygoodtaste.co.uk linking to your results."

Since this is a cooking blog, I'll add 5) italicize the items you've cooked.

The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:

51. Prickly pear - In candy form from a cheezy gift shop in an Indian reservation museum.
52. Umeboshi - I have a bad habit of purchasing unrecognizable items in untranslated packaging in Asian groceries.
53. Abalone - and pointing to the untranslated specials board in Asian restaurants and saying "I'll have that!"
54. Paneer - with palak preferably.
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal - I worked at McDonalds in my youth. Haven't been in in at least a couple decades, though.
56. Spaetzle - This always looks fun to make. I'll have to try it.
57. Dirty gin martini - I'm not much for mixed drinks.
58. Beer above 8% ABV - Generally called barley wine if I'm thinking of the same stuff. My preferred drink at the bar I mentioned earlier.
59. Poutine - All really-bad-for-you food should taste this good.
60. Carob chips - Remember when carob was suddenly everywhere as a substitute for chocolate? Was it actually more healthy? Probably. Eating a chocolate chip cookie must be worse for you than suspiciously eying and then not eating a carob chip cookie.
61. S’mores - I'll eat marshmallows in s'mores and in hot chocolate, but that's it. At least for mass-produced marshmallows. I should try the confectioner's version some time.
62. Sweetbreads - At Union restaurant in Seattle during my recent trip there. I'd cook with them if I could find any to buy.
63. Kaolin - Wikipedia says Kaolin is a a rock that can be used in "a specially formulated spray applied to fruits, vegetables, and other vegetation to repel or deter insect damage." That sounds like it might be used in organic farming. I might have eaten some.
64. Currywurst - A German fast food. I haven't had the opportunity.
65. Durian - This I've had plenty of opportunities for. The Asian groceries I shopped at when I lived in Boston and San Diego carried frozen durians. But even the aspects of durian that are supposed to be non-repulsive have never sounded particularly good to me. Also, I understand frozen is not a patch on the fresh stuff and if you're going to try such a thing you really should try it at its best. I'm not going to seek it out, but if you're having some and you offer, I wouldn't say no.
66. Frogs’ legs - They taste like garlic when you cover them in a garlic sauce. Deep fried, they taste like batter. I'd like to find some simply prepared so I can taste frog at some point.
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake - I think funnel cake is my favorite of the four, but I feel so urbane nibbling on beignets and sipping cafe au lait on a Sunday morning.
68. Haggis - Not a fine example of it, though, I'm sure. I liked it better slathered with vegemite.
69. Fried plantain - I use butter and a little bit of sugar to get flavor and the caramelized edges you get at the Cuban restaurants, but I'm pretty sure I'm cheating.
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette - I haven't had the opportunity terribly often as I've never spent much time in the regions where chitterlings are served and those regions are also places where you'll find good barbecue so I had better things to do.
71. Gazpacho - I've looked into recipes a few times intending to make gazpacho sorbet but I haven't followed through yet.
72. Caviar and blini - Not the really good stuff, though.
73. Louche absinthe - When you think about those romantic poets lounging about so sophisticatedly sipping absinthe keep in mind that it tastes like candy.
74. Gjetost, or brunost - Another obscure cheese with no particular reason to given to seek it out.
75. Roadkill - Is game by car really any different than game killed any other way? Is it nicely tenderized by the impact?

To be continued...

No comments: