Sunday, March 16, 2008

Lazy week - post one

Those tomatoes from last weeks CSA share are ideally suited for use on pizza. They're so meaty they stay structurally sound in the hot oven and don't leak a lot of juice to make the crust soggy. Plus, with a bit of salt, the roasting nicely intensifies the tomato flavor.

I used to make my own pizza dough and sauce and buy fresh mozzarella to put on top, but in retrospect, that turned a convenience food into a pricey chore. Mighty good though, if your oven is up to it. In my last apartment, it wasn't so I got out of the habit.

As this is lazy week, the pizza pictured above was frozen--Freschetta Brick Oven 5-cheese to be specific-- and it kind of stunk. I was under the impression that frozen pizza technology had significantly improved over the last decade what with a variety of rising crusts and real cheese and all. Have I been misled? Or was the on-sale Freschetta not the best example?

No comments: